Among the many signs and symbols used by the Church to celebrate its faith, music is of preeminent importance. As sacred song united to words, it forms a necessary and integral part of the solemn liturgy. Music should assist the believers to express and share the gift of faith that is within them and to nourish and strengthen their interior commitment of faith. Music in Catholic Worship, 1972
The Music Ministry of St. Lawrence Martyr Parish takes the words of this post-Vatican II document to heart. The music of the liturgy helps the Assembly lift its collective heart and mind to the worship of God. The role of music ministry is to lead the faithful in active participation by assisting the community in singing its song of praise to God and offering the type of inspiration that only music has the power to achieve. Below are some opportunities.
For more information, contact René Ayala at 310-316-0090.
Cantors are singers who lead the Assembly in sung prayer and specialize in singing the Responsorial Psalm. Commitment, vocal skill, liturgical sensitivity, and a welcoming personality are desirable traits in a cantor.
We have three Choirs leading the music at three of the Sunday Masses and special feasts of the Church year from September to June. Each group has its own musical character, rehearses regularly, and are all very nice folks, too!
– 8:30 am Choir: A contemporary choral ensemble
– 10:30 am Choir: A blend of traditional and contemporary choral music; organ and piano accompaniment along with other musical instruments
– 5:00 pm Life Teen Choir: Contemporary Christian music; high school students are especially welcome!
– Childrens Choir: Performs monthly.
– Resurrection Choir: Enhancing the music for Funeral and Memorial Masses; part of our Bereavement Ministry; open to all interested singers
Organists, pianists, guitarists, bass guitarists, percussionists, flutists, violinists, trumpeters, and specialty instrumentalists add variety and energy to liturgical music.
Those who have a keen ear for room acoustics, a technical mind to work a soundboard, and a strong arm to move equipment, help us bring it all together. If you have a talent to share and are willing to make a commitment, please join us.